‘Common’ Stabbing Suspect Being Held on $1 Million Bail

The man who allegedly stabbed two park rangers in the Boston Common last Tuesday was held on $1 million cash bail at his arraignment on attempted murder and related charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Boston Municipal Court Judge Robert McKenna imposed that bail on Bodio Hutchinson, age 34, at the request of Assistant District Attorney Lynn Feigenbaum.

McKenna additionally ordered Hutchinson held without bail on warrants sought by probation officers when the defendant allegedly violated probationary terms imposed, along with incarceration on prior convictions.

Hutchinson is accused of stabbing two City of Boston park rangers during an encounter in the Boston Common at about 4:50 p.m. on Oct. 14. One ranger, a 46-year-old man, suffered a stab wound to his abdomen and a slashing injury to his back; he was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital. The other, age 25, was rushed to New England Medical Center with five stab wounds to his back and abdomen. Both are now expected to survive.

Hutchinson allegedly fled the Common and entered the Public Garden with responding Boston Police officers in pursuit, tossed an item into the lagoon, and turned on the officers chasing him. Hutchinson allegedly took an aggressive posture and shouted, “Shoot me! Shoot me!”

The officers instead ordered him to the ground at gunpoint and took him into custody. Additional officers checked the lagoon, where they saw Hutchinson toss the item and spotted a folding knife that was later recovered by Boston Police criminalists.

Hutchinson is currently appealing his convictions for punching, kicking and biting corrections officers at the Nashua Street Jail on Jan. 4, 2010. He was sentenced on one of those convictions to the maximum penalty of two and a half years in a house of correction, and on another to a consecutive term of two and a half years with one year to serve and the balance suspended for a five-year probationary term. By law, a portion of that sentence was deemed served while awaiting trial.

Hutchinson was at the Nashua Street Jail on that date following an arrest in Dorchester two days earlier. He was accused of beating and biting another man. The victim refused to testify against Hutchinson at his trial in Suffolk Superior Court, however, and he was acquitted of those charges.

More recently, Hutchinson was convicted of punching a woman and biting a man inside a Roxbury fast-food restaurant on Feb. 22, 2013. He was sentenced to another term of two and a half years with 18 months to serve behind bars and the balance suspended for a three-year probationary term.

 Hutchinson was represented today by attorney Shannon Lopez. He will return to court on Nov. 6.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.