This is a brief overview of construction operations and impacts for the North Washington Street Bridge Replacement Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
• The planned closure of the entire marine channel below the NWSB is targeted to begin on Monday, 10/04 and end on Friday, 10/08. The closure will assist in installing structural steel for the new bridge deck.
• Following the full closure there will be smaller, half channel closures to install elements of a new bridge deck throughout the month of October.
• The exact timing of the full closure is still under review by the United States Coast Guard and the Massachusetts State Police Marine Unit. More information regarding the closure will be provided in the look-ahead prior to the closure.
Slip Lane Closure Rescheduled
• The planned closure of the slip lane from North Washington Street to Chelsea Street has been targeted to occur sometime in mid-October. The space that was used for the slip lane will be converted into part of the work zone.
• The removal of this lane is part of the build conditions of the new North Washington Street Bridge, so the shutdown represents a milestone on the way to the finished project.
• Nonetheless, MassDOT and its project team have kept the slip lane in place as long as possible as a way to help clear the single northbound (towards City Square) lane on the North Washington Street temporary bridge. The project team will be watching traffic operations to ensure that vehicles keep moving as the new work zone is established.
Description of Scheduled Work
• Building the piers:
Pier 1 (closest to the North End): Strip formwork and installing steel rods
Pier 2: Install precast beams and rebar, form initial infill, and remove cofferdam sheeting
Pier 3: Grout work, installing rebar, and concrete pour
Pier 4: Complete
Pier 5 (closest to Charlestown): Complete
• Installing, moving, and maintaining silt curtains and barges in the water
• Prep work to install utilities
• Installing temporary bents for steel erection
• Warehouse Pier and Column Repairs
• Steel erection on-going
• Most work will be done during the daytime (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Work That Has Been Completed
• Work continues to complete piers 1, 2, and 3
The sidewalk over the temporary bridge and the Lovejoy Wharf stairs near Converse are open. The Boston Harborwalk under the bridge and eastern/harborside bridge sidewalk remain closed until rebuilt.
The Tudor Wharf Walkway (under the bridge next to the water in Paul Revere Park) will be intermittently closed for safety during construction operations, with access provided via the Water Street underpass.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.